Monday, July 5, 2010

Me No Habla the "Espanyola" + Samgyupsal + The Last Airbender = Happy Happy 4th!

It's always the holidays that make you feel totally upset when you're 1) by yourself or 2) single. But, I made plans for myself this time. I refused to be left alone in my house on this day while everyone in Miami is having a BLAST. So, I made a plan. I made a plan that would bring happiness to my life. Oh yes...I did.

While my other plans ended up being cancelled (*pout* I had a feeling too. It's karma, I think. I was so excited for it during the week, there was basically no other choice but for it to be cancelled :o\ ), I had a plan B to put into action. It went like this:

  1. Wake Up

  2. Do my hair

  3. Samgyupsal

  4. The Last Airbender

  5. Fireworks
And yes, this was all by myself.
The one thing about me is that I'm too used to solitude. I'm so used to it that now I don't want it anymore, but I don't know how to break the cycle. I'm trying to be all "Hi, my name is Diandra. I don't know you, but you seem fun. Let me tell you about myself and you do the same and in the end, we can be buddies!"

How do you do that? I'm serious. How does one person have a group of 3 or more friends? Do I even have more than 3 friends in Miami? *thinks hard*

But that's besides the point....

So I woke up, and I did a little facebookin' and started to get ready. I washed my hair (I had deep conditioner in it overnight) and started to do my hair in twists. I had asked my girl Tiffny about how to do a cute beach hairstyle (bc of my first plans) bc I wanted to get in the water. She gave me an awesome list! So just bc I wasn't going to the beach, doesn't mean I can't do my hair in a cute style. So, I did the front of my hair in flat-twists, then did the rest of my hair in individuals twists. It came out cute!  Especially when I put hte flower in! Thank you, Tiffny. I love you lol.

So I wore a cute plaid button up shirt and some jeans and gladiators, even though it was raining outside. But I didn't mind. The rain is my sunshine. Literally. I'd take rainy days over sunny days anytime. Anyway, I started my adventure to the Asian Market....then I realized that this Asian market doesn't have pork belly. So I went to a Spanish grocery where I usually buy pork belly.

I don't know if it's my Belizean background (bc Belizeans are still hispanic) but wherever I go in Miami, people think I can speak spanish. I mean, it's like they KNOW I'm not fully black. They must smell the black beans and rice and plantains in my blood. But omg, everyone in the markets (bc I went to two) were trying to hold conversation with me in Spanish. I almost felt bad that I didn't know it. Actually I do feel bad. But Spanish is soooo hard!!!! And now with me learning Korean, Japanese, and Chinese, I REALLY don't want to add Spanish to my list at the moment. But it's looking necessary *sigh*. Also, I must have something that older Spanish guys like bc a couple of them would stop me to say "How beautiful" I am, one asked me to marry him even. And me, being the smiley cute giggly girl when I encounter men, laugh it off and say "one day maybe".

I'm gonna get in trouble for that....I swear.

But I finally bought the pork belly and started towards Lucky Oriental Market. This is where my world was about to burst into flames.

I go inside and it starts of GREAT! They finally got Calpico, the tangy watered down yogurt drink, and my favorite ice cream, RED BEAN ICE CREAM! I was jumping for joy! So I knew that I had to get kimchi and I had to get gochujang. That's where it started to go downhill. I went through every isle, EVERY ISLE, and there was no gochujang. They stopped selling it! Bulgogi and Kalbi sauce they still had, oh yes, but SCREW GOCHUJANG, they thought. I swear my heart dropped. What's WITH these people!?! But then I thought, I still have a little bit of gochujang left at the house. That could work! So, I calmed down, but some snacks, ice cream, calpico, and headed on my way.

I stopped at Publix to get lettuce, bc all I own lately is spinach lol. And I got a six pack of Kirin Light. Now, I am 22 years old, so no underage drinking here lol. I LOVE Kirin Ichiban, Yuengling, Blue Moon, and Shock Top. Those are my beers. No one can tell me any different lol. If you haven't tried any of these, try them lol. You won't be dissapointed.

I went home after my purchase, and I got the cookin'! Samgyupsal is basically cooked pork belly and you eat in a little lettuce wrap with rice, garlic, gochujang or ssamjang (i wanted that too), and you wrap into a tight little pocket and stuff it all in your mouth. OMG it's soooooo good. I ate so much yesterday. You know that satisfied feeling you get that you have to actually undo a button on your pants? Well I didn't unbutton lol, but I had that nice "yum yum i'm full" feeling. It was beautiful.

After eating my absolutely delicious red bean ice cream, I put my shoes and headed to the movies to see "The Last Airbender". I heard a couple times that it was AMAZING, so I thought okie doke! Let's see. When I get to the theater and to the box office, I ask for a ticked to the movie.

"Just one?" the guy asks me.
"Yup." I reply.
"Only you?"
"Yes, only me. Just me."

Can you feel how aggravated I was? He looked at me like he felt sorry for me or something. I wanted to choke the guy. But what do you expect from a 외톨이야? But I still haven't grown used to those looks lol.  So I walked into the movie theater, giggled at previews, then the movie began.

Bad Acting....can I just say that? OMG bad acting. And I kept thinking, it's okay, what do you really expect from children, but that's not a good excuse. Dakota Fanning is an amazing actress, especially as a child. Emma Roberts, um...who else?  You know what i'm saying though, right? But in the end, I LOVED the movie bc the acting was bad, but the action! OH THE  ACTION! And the water bending, the martial arts. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I'm officially a member of the water tribe. I must be lol.

After I left the theater, I was so hyped up. I didn't want to go home. I was dancing in my car and I knew that I would not be satisfied until I saw fireworks, then BAM! Fireworks lit up the sky. I literally hit the gas and followed the sparklys and found the park where people were setting them off. Beautiful. Absolutely nice. It was about 20 minutes in that I started thinking of my brother and my mom and how much I missed them. How AGAIN I was alone on a holiday where you needed to be surrounded by other human beings that you cared for.  It sucked, that feeling. It was actually messing up the fireworks for me. So I went home, grabbed a beer and sat on my car and watched fireworks for another 2 hours.  When I was ready to give up and go to sleep, I got a text from someone :o) and it made me happier than I thought or actually happier thnan it should. I had to rethink for a second, but that's another post lol.

So in the end, even though some things brought me down, I had a fun July 4th by my lonesome. I enjoyed it, I ate great, and I saw a fun movie. What more can you ask for, yeah?

Peace Love And Happiness,
Diandra Yuri

No comments:

Post a Comment