Sunday, June 6, 2010

Bye Bye Hollywood Beauty Olive Creme....Hello S-Curl!!! (Review)


I'm a transitioning girl, which means i'm trying to let my hair grow natural while still having relaxed ends. I didn't have clue about ANYTHING when it came to natural hair until I went on Hairlista.com and LongHairCareForum.com. Those forums should come together and make a Natural Hair Bible lol. From all of the things I learned from them, I started to make a regimen for my hair. My moisturizer of choice was Hollywood Beauty Olive Creme. What a bad choice that was....
My hair is dry and brittle due to the relaxers I've used for about 16 years of my life and all the heat I put on it when I was waiting to put braids in my hair. So I understand that much. Heck, I might even have SCAB HAIR....*sigh* I really don't want scab hair, but that's going from what i'm trying to explain lol. My hair is DRY, so i'm constantly trying to keep moisture in it with cowashing, moisturizing and sealing, and oils in my hair on shampoo wash days. But even with all of that my hair was STILL dry and brittle. So I did what any natural hair girl would do.

I started taking things out of my regimen.

I used Ecostyler gel once, and my hair got crazy dry at the end of the day, so I took that out and haven't used it since. I wanted to see if it was the gel doing that to my hair.  In the end, my hair was still dry.

I took out my humidity milk from Garnier Fructis. STILL DRY.

I did a deep condition with my Garnier Fructis Conditioner and Hot Six Oil. DRY DRY DRY.

I bought a cholesterol. Soft at the beginning, but dry at the end. So I mixed my suave conditioner with the cholesterol (which is also from Hollywood Beauty by the way). No help there.

So, it came to the point where all I had left to change was my conditioner, leave in conditioner, moisturizer, sealer, and shampoo.

So I changed my moisturizer.  The reason why I ditched this one first is because HB Olive Creme made my hair crazy greasy. No matter how little I used, I still had greasy hair. So I went to Walgreens and bought S-Curl (#2 on Hairlista's Top 10 Moisturizer list after Wave Nouveau). It was $5.59 or something. So I came home, cowashed my hair, put in a leave in conditioner, moisturized and sealed my hair in sections, then started putting my hair in twists (which is a protective style).

Touching my hair now, my new growth feels softer and not crunchy like when I use the Olive Creme. But the real test is tomorrow when I do a twist out. Hopefully S-Curl didn't do me wrong, because it feels good now. It's not greasy, my NG doesn't feel dry and dehydrated. It's a big step up from HB lol.

So final result:

STAY AWAY FROM HOLLYWOOD BEAUTY CREME. Don't even LOOK at it. But heck, it may work for you because all hair is different. But seriously, you might as well spend an extra $2 on S-Curl, because it's reputable.

But believe me, i'm still going to start chuckin' out some other products. The next one to go is my John Frieda Root Awakening Nourishing Shampoo. But that is for another post lol.

Peace, Love, and Happiness,
Diandra Yuri


No comments:

Post a Comment