Monday, June 21, 2010

When It Comes to Pride & Prejudice or Jane Austen...I Really Don't Think Twice.


I knew I shouldn't have spent the 12 bucks, but I did. I mean how many times do you come across another adaptation of your favorite book of all time? So when I just happened to trip into Pemberley.Com, I got this sudden urge to buy another version of Pride and Prejudice as well as other versions of Jane Austen's books turned films/TV shows. So, I started going through Amazon.com and found "Lost in Austen", a modern Pride and Prejudice on Speed or Ecstasy story lol. I know, it's weird, but really there no other way to describe it hahaha.

It's about a girl named Amanda Price who is a major P&P fan (like me-self), who ends up getting sucked into the story while trading places with Elizabeth Bennet. In this alternate/fantasy world, she learns a lot of dark secrets of the characters, some you REALLY would have never seen coming. She tries her damndest to not change the story, but if you fall in love with Mr. Darcy, I don't think you have much of a choice lol. On top of that, I loved it when I watched it on Youtube, and for $9.58 for a spankin' brand new copy....I really had no choice. I bought it. I bought and I'm not ashamed to say I did!

I don't know how I became such a major fan of English/Victorian themed films and stories. I used to despise them. But I guess when you get older, you start to understand it more. Because of that, and my mom, I now own some adaptations of Pride and Prejudice and other Jane Austen films. Wanna see?
For my mom, we got the second BBC remake of Pride and Prejudice on DVD when I was what? 15 or 16 years old. You know the one I'm talking about! It was in 1995 and had Colin Firth (sexy man) in it. This was at a time when I DID NOT want anything to do with this film. But I remember wanting to spend time with my mom and sitting down next to her, my head in her lap, and just becoming engrossed in the film. It had a lot to do with Colin Firth's sexiness lol. But the thought of a man who showed absolutely no interest in this female WHATSOEVER all of a sudden says he's head over heels, shocked me!  Can love really be like that, I thought? Can someone whom you believed hated you with Hell's fire actually be the one? God, Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle are probably the most AMAZING actors I have EVER EVER seen in my life. After that remake, Pride and Prejudice imprinted itself on every piece of my being. It's actually kind of weird. This story had changed the way I thought about romance. I wanted a man just like Fitzwilliam Darcy. I even named my teddy bear after him! Actually I named him Benjamin Darcy...Benjamin fits a bear better. But it was still Darcy at the end!

After that, there was no end. No end! I wanted more and more of P&P, and after watching the one from 1995 and loving Jennifer Ehle, I had my own little dream cast for a newer one in my head. As Elizabeth Bennet, I always felt that Keira Knightly would be amazing in it. She had the spunk and the feeling of a headstrong woman. I believed she could give Jennifer Ehle and Lizzy Bennet justice. When I saw in 2004 hat they were remaking it for 2005 WITH KEIRA KNIGHTLY, I freaked! I thought I was psychic or something hahahaha. But no, I freaked and my mom freaked and we freaked together. Matthew McFadyen...omg omg omg. The sexiest Darcy by far. BY FAR. I get chills when i think of him as Darcy.  I fell in love with him on the spot and now, whenever I watch the ending when he says "You've bewitched me body and soul", I still cry like a baby. I cried in the theatre and I cry everytime I watch it and believe me, i've seen it over 100 times.  Isn't that pathetic?

After that I bought Bridget Jones Diary, where Colin Firth came back with his role as Darcy.  Hugh Grant + Colin Firth equals ULTIMATE SEXINESS!

And then I bought Bride and Prejudice because I love the producer Gurinda Chadhar. She brought Bend It Like Beckham to the big screen and introduced me to another love of my life Johnathan Rhys Meyers. But Bride and Prejudice is a "Bollywood" type film, which made it so much fun to watch.

Also, if you didn't know, You've Got Mail is a version of Pride and Prejudice as well. Didn't know that did you! It's because your not a Janeite! hahahaha j/k. But yea, Tom Hanks as Darcy and Meg Ryan as Elizabeth Bennet, not the names of the characters in the movie, but you know what i'm sayin! Anything with Tom Hanks or Meg Ryan, I will watch. I can watch You've Got Mail over and over and over again.

For my mom, again, she wanted the another BBC adaptations of Pride and Prejudice, so we bought the Jane Austen Collection off of Target.com and now we have the 1980s version along with all the other 1980 versions of Jane Austen's books (Sense and Sensibility, Emma, etc).

So those are all of my purchases of Pride and Prejudice and now that I think about it, there is still one more that I have to buy: Pride and Prejudice, A Latter-day comedy. Oh! and the 1958 version, I believe. Hahaha, but I think i'm going to make another couple posts of all the Jane Austen films I have in my collection, like Emma or Mansfield Park.  I got many more adaptations hahaha..

Sorry to have bust this long post on you! But I just wanted to tell you guys about it! You must see Pride and Prejudice. If you thought you knew about romance, you seriously have no idea until you have seen this :o)

Peace Love and Happiness,
Diandra Yuri

No comments:

Post a Comment