Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Happy 1 Month Anniversary To...My Hair!

My Hair In Flat-Twists For Work

Yes yes yes. It's my hair's one month anniversary. I realized it while watching PhillyDiva19154's "I Want Natural Long Hair-Length Check (June 2010)" video. While she was stretching her hair to see how long it was, I was thinking, "Damn...I really need to trim my hair today. It's been a month."

It's been a month?!?!?! I survived without putting heat in my hair or relaxer for one month?!? That's 31 days! I'm so proud of you hair. And my hair then said she was proud of me lol. She looked soooo cute for the first day of classes for Summer B at school today. Good job hair, even though humidity got to you in the end and we had to hide you in a beret for Statistics earlier tonite. Sad, but it's okay. You were still cute. (picture of today below)...
A lot has happened for my hair in one month. I've discovered a lot of things. For one, Castor oil is no joke. I use Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil to seal at nights, and my goodness. In just two weeks my hair got thicker. My hair to me was really thin once I took it out of braids, but now i'm like "Damn, I have a bush on my head." I can't wait to get liquid castor oil to see if it makes a difference.

The second thing I found out in a month was my natural hair texture. I know! I've never known my natural hair texture because since I was 4 or 5, I've always had braids and relaxers in it. That's 17 years worth of damage, people. So, for one month I was freaking out about having scab hair (which I still think I have). But then one day, I had just bought the Silk Elements Mega Cholestoral and wanted to try it out. I put that thing in my hair and after 10 minutes (with it still in my hair), I got this!

Do you see what that is?!? That's CURLS baby! At the nape of my neck, i'm completely natural. I had cut my relaxed ends off after taking out my braids. What do you think that texture is? 3C, maybe 4A? I'm trying to find a way to keep those curls AFTER I use the cholesterol, but I won't truly figure it out until my whole head is natural. I'm really praying for 3c hair, because my brother at the back of his neck has 3C. I'm crossing my fingers! (But I love 4A too!)

Third thing I learned was finding the right products is a B*TCH! I'm tellin' you, there is nothing I wouldn't give for a frickin' expert to come down from Heaven and say, "Diandra...." in the angelic voice lol, "Diandra...these are the products that will make your hair grow long and fast. Take this, my child and be happy..." *floats away*

"Thank you, Natural Hair Expert Angel! Thank you!" *I wave to the sky*

But life's never easy like that. You have to waste money on bad products to find good products. That's the only way the universe can stay happy and balanced. But truthfully, in one month, I have grown to love my hair. It's fun to do at night, I love cowashing, and I've become a closet product junkie. Well, now i'm out the closet cause I just told y'all, so I declare that I am A PRODUCT JUNKIE!

I'm not going to check my hair length, because like PhillyDiva said, one month won't show a lot of progress. Three months though....that's a whole 'nother ball game. I can't wait until *holds out fingers and counts* August! I can't wait until August! What's even better is my Mommy's going to be here for her birthday on the 21st/22nd (we still don't know what day she was born for real lol). She doesn't see me except for once a month, so she'll know for sure if my hair has truly grown!

Love your hair, people. It's truly your best friend. If you take care of it, it shall grow. Oooo, I should do that in that weird whisper voice in "Field of Dreams".

*whispers* If you take care of it, it shall grow.....

Peace Love and Happiness,
Diandra Yuri

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your 1mo anni!

    In regards to hair type: I wouldn't get too caught up in the labeling of your hair. Your hair will take on many-a-texture as it grows out, so use the typing system as a loose guide of what to expect, and how to care for it, but don't feel like it's the end all be all. You'll see as your hair gets longer, you will have textures from the kinkiest 4 to the looses of 3...I've even got a few waves up in this piece, so I basically just do what works for my head.

    And a product that I've found takes care of all the crazy textures in my hair (3b/c,4a/b) is Kinky Curly Curling Custard. It's my go to gel for soft, yet controlled and frizz free curls. :)

    ReplyDelete